Beginners to Competition
Senior Coach at Pompallier Tennis Club
Josh began playing tennis at the age of 3-years-old and grew up on Auckland’s North Shore playing junior tennis to a regional and national level. Passionate about tennis, Josh loves seeing his students of all ages and abilities improve their technique and enjoying tennis.
Josh first started coaching tennis at Belmont Racquets Club and has coached at several clubs and schools across Auckland as well as a year in Melbourne coaching at the Victoria Tennis Academy. Josh has coached at Pompallier since 2012 and considers Pompallier Tennis Club to be one of Ponsonby’s best kept secrets.
- Patient, inclusive, high-energy
- Performance analysis and technical expertise
- Competitive strategy and tactics
- Tennis NZ Registered Coach
- ITF Level 1 JDC
- Tennis Australia Junior Development Coach
- Tennis Coach since 2005 in Australia and New Zealand
- Coached at the Victoria Tennis Academy in Melbourne, Australia
- Tennis Auckland Academy Coach
- Senior Coach at Pompallier Tennis Club
- Competed in New Zealand Junior Nationals
- Coaching at the Melbourne Tennis Academy
MORE ABOUT JOSH…
1. Why did you want to become a professional tennis coach?
“You get an outside office.”
2. What do you love most about coaching tennis?
“Finding ways to help different people improve.”
3. How would you describe your coaching style?
4. Why are you so passionate about tennis?
“Because I get to meet people from all walks of life”
5. What is one of the most memorable tournaments you’ve played in?
“Nationals as a junior”
6. What are some of your favourite tournament venues you’ve played at?
“Kooyong Lawn Tennis Club – former home of the Australian Open.”
7. What are your favourite tennis brands?
8. What influences and inspires your coaching methods?
“Radical acceptance and communication”
9. What has been your biggest lesson learned since qualifying as a professional coach that you would pass on to enthusiastic players today?
“Success comes through finding your philosophy”
10. What New Zealand personality would you like to coach at your local tennis club?
11. What are your other interests when you’re not coaching tennis?
“Card boarding down North Head”
12. What are your favourite places in Auckland?
- Snort on a Friday for gratuitous improv
- Marys for coffee
- Orphan’s Kitchen for crumpets and roof honey
- Golden Dawn for catching up with friends
- Coco’s Cantina for a restaurant with character