Tennis Monsters Director, High-Performance Squad Head Coach
Head Coach at Harcourts Eden Epsom & West Harbour Tennis Clubs
Nelson has been a high-performance player since the age of 8-years-old representing Bogota, Colombia in local, regional and national tournaments. Experienced in motivating youth to achieve goals, Nelson is a student-focused coach with a wealth of experience and knowledge in professional tennis coaching, training and student relations.
Passionate about tennis, Nelson thrives on using knowledge and ‘skill sets’ to accomplish objectives and motivate students to achieve their full potential through intensity, discipline and desire.
“Consistency, passion, desire and hard work make real life champions!”
- Systematically divided into levels and skills called “My Tennis Journey”
- Highly intensive
- Tennis NZ Registered Coach
- AJC Tennis NZ
- LOA Certified Coach
- ITF Level 1 JDC
- ITF Level 2 Club Professional (in progress)
- Tennis Coach since 2005 in the USA and New Zealand
- Coach at Kohimarama Tennis Club
- Assistant Coach at Next Generation Tennis Club
- Head Coach at Takapuna, Birkenhead, Greenhithe Tennis Clubs
- Head Coach at Harcourts Eden Epsom & West Harbour Tennis Clubs
- Junior performance tennis player at national tournaments
- University tennis team captain and player
- Next Generation Tennis Club top team captain and player 2013
- West Harbour Tennis Club top team captain and player 2015
More about Nelson…
1. Why did you want to become a professional tennis coach?
“I discovered my true purpose in life in 2013 was coaching tennis. I’ve loved playing tennis since the age of 8-years-old, coaching was the natural next step in my career.”
2. What do you love most about coaching tennis?
“I love when the player is a harder worker and we can work together to reach his/her peak performance!”
3. How would you describe your coaching style?
“Intense and positive.”
4. Why are you so passionate about tennis?
“No matter what your current level is, you can always improve!”
5. What is one of the most memorable tournaments you’ve played in?
“The Christmas tournaments at my home club when I was around 14 years old. Very fun and exciting times!”
6. What are some of your favourite tournament venues you’ve played at?
“I have loved the experience and the opportunity of playing on every single tennis court in my life.”
7. What are your favourite tennis brands?
“I have played with Babolat most of my life but I also like the Head Speed, Yonex Vcore and Wilson Pro Staff.”
8. What influences and inspires your coaching methods?
“The competitions when I come along with players, The Law of Attraction, Neuroscience and research in Mindset.”
9. What has been your biggest lesson learned since qualifying as a professional coach that you would pass on to enthusiastic players today?
“Tennis is an independent choice and parents should support their kids in a positive way without coaching them.”
10. What New Zealand personality would you like to coach at your local tennis club?
“I admire the humbleness, hard-working etiquette and determination of All Black Keven Mealamu.”
11. What are your other interests when you’re not coaching tennis?
“My family and Salsa Dancing!”
12. What are your favourite places in Auckland?
- Waitakere’s beaches and waterfalls to look around when we have time at the weekend
- Natural Bake and Coffee in the city for great coffee
- Mt Eden Bakery to grab lunch
- Casablanca for dinner and catching up with friends
- VIVA Dance for Salsa dancing
- EastWest Yoga for Bikram Yoga